Monday, April 20, 2009

Century CETME Current State of the build Review

This is a Century built CETME in the 5xxxx serial number range. My FFL's CETME is in the 4 digit range by contrast. Mine is engraved .308 while his says 7.62.

On the whole it's a nice looking weapon. Let's dig in.

From http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=236 a checklist:

1. Bolt gap: .010 to .011 inches. I'd prefer a little higher, but it's right in the middle of the range. Rollers mic'd at between 8.01 to 8.02.
2. Ground Bolt- "Take the bolt off the carrier and look at the rear of it. Make sure it hasn't been ground. An unground bolt should have a nice clean chamfer around the edges." Looks good to me! Chamfer edged looks regular all the way around.
3. Sight alignment: Looks good, feels good. One of the photos has an optical illusion.
4. Bolt carrier is not resting on the cocking tube stop. Slight bit of space in mine between the carrier and stop. But not much! Less than 1mm when the bolt slides home in a normal release.
5. Ejector: Looks ok, I'm not sure what 'riding high' in the above post means?
6. Barrel looks clean and shiny.
7. Bolt parts look like they have very little wear. Shiny unfinished edges here and there.
8. Fire Control Group is either new or just has shiny unfinished bits from metal to metal contact.

The stock and trigger/handgrip assembly fit tightly but not excessively so to the receiver. I used a hammer knocking on a bit of PVC pipe to get the stock off after removing the retaining pins. It only shaved a little plastic off the pipe a bit, so not much force required at all. Hitting the pistol grip a few times with the heel of my hand removed the trigger housing. The stock retaining pins pressed out easily.

Gripes: a small bit of rust and pitting on a thick portion of the firing pin. Nothing that will affect it, but I might see if I can get a replacement. It didn't have any cosmoline on that area.

To me so far, everything looks pretty good for what I paid considering the current environment.

To the pics!






Looks canted but it's an illusion. Don't make fun of my LSU socks.

A little grinding here and there for fit, but just a little.














Please comment or ask questions! And yes, I need to clean the dust bunnies up.

4 comments:

  1. As mentioned in the post, that's on the to do list. Don't have the feeler gauges yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very nice and congrats on the good bolt gap. Seeing that you got a nice one just makes me want one of their C93's more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice looking rifle. I have one in the same SN# range and it is almost flawless. I also own a C93 and Golani Sporter from Century and all of them work and look very good. Amazing considering Century's reputation. My Golani, which is a caspian receiver has an ar15 magazine adapter that dropped in without any modication. So I guess they let the monkeys go on field trips and occasionally put out decent rifles for the money.With all that said you get what you pay for. The nicest rifle and most accurate I own was high dollar(FNAR).
    Enjoy rifle, I sure enjoy mine

    ReplyDelete